Habitat accepts Stomping Ground pitches by emerging and established writers from across the world on process, industry news and trends, new fiction, creative nonfiction, and poetry publications, and more. We encourage submitters to read the work of our editors, past issues, and particularly our Stomping Ground content, to get a sense of what we publish. To submit, we ask that you follow these general guidelines:
1. You may submit only one set of up to five pitches at a time. These pitches should be detailed but succinct and give the editors a sense of which Stomping Ground content category the article(s) would fit into (Between the Quotes, On the Shelf, Happenings, or Atmosphere), the subject, tone, and structure of the article, and why you will be able to write this article with authority in an engaging way.
2. Please wait until you have received a response to your pitch(es) before submitting a new pitch. With the mission of publishing as many voices as possible, we ask that if you are a previous contributor that you wait at least one month before pitching again.
3. We do not accept previously published work. We will occasionally consider articles that have already been written prior to pitching, but please be sure that the article is relevant and suited to Habitat's style and values. In the case of whole articles, we encourage simultaneous submissions, but please inform us immediately if your work has been accepted elsewhere.
4. We ask that every submission include a cover letter containing the working title of your pitch(es) and a brief biographical note. Please include your name and contact info on the first page of your submission.
5. We will do our best to respond to your submission promptly. We ask that you please do not inquire about your pitch submission until 2 months have passed.
6. Habitat Magazine retains First North American Publishing Rights.
7. Unfortunately, we cannot pay contributors at this time, but we are working on it.
8. There is no submission fee.
To submit pitches, send a cover letter and your pitches to with the subject line [SG Category] Article Pitch.